Friday, June 9, 2017

Finding the Time to Give to Others

Many of us take the blood supply for granted. If your loved one had just had a serious injury or needed blood because of a significant disease, you would expect that blood would be available for him or her. We are very fortunate that blood is available when our loved ones need it…but it doesn’t happen magically. It happens because of the Red Cross and many, many dedicated and caring people.

GBMC has always participated in blood drives. Back in 2011, we were not collecting as many units as we could and we were called to do more. Under the leadership of Kim Davenport, our Community Relations and Events Manager, we put on our improvement caps and changed our system. We have now had 6 years of excellent results, yesterday being no exception! We collected 99 units of whole blood in a time of year when it is difficult to get people to donate.



I am so proud of the work of Kim and other GBMC volunteers who work closely with the Red Cross. When you see Kim, thank her for this great work and for helping GBMC to be leaders in blood donation. Also, if you are not currently giving, please consider this at our next drive.

Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. And thank you to all the people who have donated their blood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know whose blood I received, so as far as I’m concerned, every blood donor saved my life. From me and my family- thank you for taking a small amount of your time to give me the rest of my life.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. No words can described the gift you all have given me by donating your blood. In june 2014, I went in for a Cesarean section to give birth to my son. We thought everything was perfect and then realized very quickly that I was losing blood (hypovolemic shock)and that my life was in serious danger. I ended up losing 40% of my blood. Without the blood that you donated, I would not be here today to enjoy the wonderful gift of motherhood that I have been so fortunate to receive, a gift no one should take for granted. Thank you to all of you who give up your time to give this precious gift of life. You do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Solomon. I hope you and your son are doing well.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read "A Healthy Dialogue" and for commenting on the blog. Comments are an important part of the public dialogue and help facilitate conversation. All comments are reviewed before posting to ensure posts are not off-topic, do not violate patient confidentiality, and are civil. Differing opinions are welcome as long as the tone is respectful.