Friday, October 11, 2024

Reflecting on 15 Years of Service to the GBMC Community

After 15 years as the President and CEO of the GBMC HealthCare System, the time has come for me to share my decision to retire from this role on June 30, 2025. While this choice comes with mixed emotions, it feels like the right time for me to take the next step.

I will still happily be at GBMC HealthCare for another 9 months, but as I look to the future, I can’t help but reflect on the past. When I think about my time at GBMC and my time in Baltimore, I am overwhelmed with pride by what we have accomplished together. For those of you who were here when I started, you might remember me asking regularly, “What if it were your daughter?” After our Board visioning retreat in late 2010, that question evolved into our guiding vision phrase: To every patient, every time, we will provide the care we would want for our own loved ones. This has become the foundation of everything we do at GBMC, shaping not only our internal culture but also the way we serve the community.

It has been an honor to serve the community over the years. I’ve seen firsthand how GBMC has grown as a resource for our neighbors, especially during the most trying times, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Providing accurate, timely information and offering reassurance during that period was a meaningful challenge in my career. I’m proud that we’ve worked to make healthcare more accessible, reducing barriers for everyone, from building advanced primary care practices throughout our market and in underserved areas, to offering comprehensive specialty care, while maintaining excellence in our hospital and witnessing the incredible growth of Gilchrist as a complete eldercare organization.

Together, we have not only built a better hospital but also strengthened the bond between our health system and the community. We’ve committed to making chronic disease management, preventive care, and behavioral health more accessible to our patients. We’ve improved population health and reduced hospital-acquired conditions, all while staying true to the principle of providing care as if every patient were a member of our own family.

I stand ready to assist the Board as they choose my successor and I will continue to work to make our health system even stronger over the next 9 months, and as I prepare to retire from this role, I am filled with gratitude for the incredible people I’ve had the privilege to work alongside. Your passion and dedication have fueled our success. We have achieved so much because of your commitment to GBMC’s vision and mission, and I know that this organization will continue to do great things for the people we serve.

To the community, thank you for trusting us with your care and for your outstanding support of our work! I’m proud of the role GBMC plays in your lives, and I look forward to watching the next chapter unfold as this remarkable health system continues its journey as the only community-based true system of care in our region.

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes with the next phase of your life. You’ve accomplished much but the most meaningful to me was the updates you provided during Covid. They were like a lifeline of logic and reason during a time of false narratives and panic. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and best of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your 15 years of service to GBMC. I vividly recall the courageous change to patient-centered care and population health prior to former President Obama's "Obama Care" mandate. Change is inevitable and retiring is one of those changes. May you be blessed and spend many years enjoying the freedom of retirement that you've earned.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read "A Healthy Dialogue" and for commenting on the blog. Comments are an important part of the public dialogue and help facilitate conversation. All comments are reviewed before posting to ensure posts are not off-topic, do not violate patient confidentiality, and are civil. Differing opinions are welcome as long as the tone is respectful.